Wednesday, February 8, 2017

The Upswing



Last week, the Universe kinda made me its bitch.  I wasn't really into it, but sometimes a gal needs a funky new perspective on life, I guess.  Near death experiences are one way to expedite that.

Once the ol' heart and lungs started functioning again last week, it was back to business.  Monday was booked solid:
  1. blood test
  2. oncologist appointment
  3. first chemo session
  4. haircut
  5. ladies date   
Chemo was surprisingly chill.  I got to sit in a big recliner and sweet nurses brought me pillows and warm blankets.  I brought a million things to do and read, but instead spent the 5 hours passed out, drooling.  It was the best sleep I had had in many weeks.  I guess subconsciously I had this feeling of crossing the finish line once I finally made it to chemo.  As soon as I landed in that chair and got the drugs all plugged in my arm, I was donezo. 

I made it back home Monday evening with a little time to collect my thoughts and wigs before heading to my hair salon.  My beloved hairdresser, Josef, had arranged an after hours time slot for me to come in a get my head shaved in peace--just the two of us.  We banded up little ponies of hair all over my head, and off they came.  When all was said and done, Josef and I concurred that I had a pretty great head underneath all those silken tresses.  I looked in the mirror at my buzzed head and felt really fucking awesome.  I looked beautiful.  I looked tough.  I looked free.  I had expected to cry, but instead I was beaming. 

After the buzzing, I tried on each of my wigs and Josef gave them each a little trim 'n' fluff.  When he asked which one I wanted to wear out, I said neither.  I am gonna flaunt this buzzcut til it starts to fall out.  It's too good to waste.  (Except on really cold days.)

Now might be a good time to retract some of the things I said in my previous post, Shit I Ban You From Saying to Me.  Buzzcut Danielle is beautiful and punk rock and suddenly into scarfs and shit.  But the ominous truth is that in a few weeks, I could look less like Eleven and more like Larry David.  So, I grant ye permission to inflate my ego for now, but once my shit starts getting patchy and I have to hide away under wigs, everyone's gotta STFU again.

XOXO,
Danielle Lynne     




5 comments:

  1. You're in such good hands & that smile says it all. You've got this. We love you and can't wait to see you-soon my buzzed-cousin!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have THE most amazing honest attitude and it's contagious. You are a bad ass and once again just solidifies that you are an amazing person and role model and Nolen is blessed to have you for his Fairy Godmother!
    We love you!!!

    ReplyDelete