Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Shit I Ban You From Saying to Me


Within the next 10 days, I will reluctantly begin chemotherapy for Hodgkin's Disease.  I am told that within 2-3 weeks of treatment, I will begin to lose my hair.  I'll need to shave it off before then so it doesn't start "falling into my food" or put me in other embarrassing scenarios referenced by my oncologist.  Gross.

Today Dr. Jeffreys told me that without chemo, I'd have a few months to live.  There is some insane part of me that would almost rather clutch to my ginger-fringe identity than save my own life.  Because who the hell am I if I'm not this image I have spent so long crafting?  Who am I if I'm some bald, withered vessel pumped with poison?  Some of you would like to remind me of all my other remarkable assets, for which I am very grateful.  But I also need the space to absolutely hate this shit. 

So here is a list of shit I ban you from saying to me:
  • Bald is beautiful. (See custody-battle era Britney if you don't believe this statement is complete bullshit). 
  • You'll look so punk rock.
  • I have an attic full of turbans for you.  

  • It'll grow back.
  • You have a tattoo, so you'll look cool with a shaved head.  
  • Think of all the fun scarves you can wear!
  • Now you'll look like my baby. #twinning
  • This is temporary.  
  • You'll be even prettier without hair.  
  • Dan is gonna love rubbing on that bald head. (Ew.)
  • Just buy one of those hats with rastafarian dreads attached. 😑
  • It's only hair.

Alternately, just tell me that you love me :)

Mekka lekka hi, mekka hiney ho!

7 comments:

  1. That's gonna suck pretty bad.
    But I'm still gonna like you. Cause you're prettt rad. Oh also cause this temporary thing with JUST your hair is gonna make you look just like my punk rock baby who looks GREAT with tattoos.
    #canthelpmyself #loveloveloveloveLOVE

    ReplyDelete